Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I NEED ICE CREAM, STAT!!!

Hello! How is everyone? Good? Great? Grand?

Perfect! Let's jump right into things this beautiful Wednesday afternoon, shall we?

Emotional Eating. 
source
Blech. 

To say I've been stressed out lately might be the understatement of the year. In the past 2 weeks, I have gotten my bike stolen, lost my wallet, and destroyed my Macbook - all while trying to prepare for multiple friends' weddings, write a maid of honor speech and find an apartment to move into in less than 3 weeks. AHHH!

Before my ankle surgery, my solution to any kind of stress I've dealt with was to throw on my running shoes and hit the pavement for a good 7 or 8 mile run.... double digits once the weekend came. But since that is obviously not in the cards this summer, I found myself resorting to the next best thing - food.
source
It took about 2 weeks and a minor panic attack due to yet another pair of clothing not fitting, to realize what I had been doing.... emotional eating.
"I'm so stressed out, I need a cookie."
"Happy hour drink? Please. My week has been a nightmare."
"My water bottle leaked all over my computer, I need ice cream STAT." 

With two impending weddings and just wanting to feel better about myself, I sat down and took a couple of minutes to assess the situation and address the following questions - what can I do differently and how can I change the situation. 

The solution was simple - don't buy the junk that promotes emotional eating. That bag of dark chocolate that you think you can have one morsel and stop after dinner. That bag of sweet potato Pop Chips that let's face it, can be downed in one sitting.... don't buy them. If they're there, they will be eaten. If they're not there, you can't eat them!

Some other things that can help when you've hit your max and all you want is a gallon of ice cream:

  • Call up a friend and chat. 
  • Ask yourself why you're eating. Are you hungry? Are you bored? Are you going to feel any better after chugging that milkshake?
  • Go for a run or a walk.
  • Read a chapter in a good book. 
  • Write in a journal. 
  • Keep a food journal. 
I found the below picture on Pinterest. It's a pretty decent flow chart on what to do when you feel like you need something. 


Now I know all this is a lot easier said than done. But next when you feel like you just need that cookie, or you deserve that self-serve frozen yogurt, take a minute and ask yourself why you're eating it. 

Emotional eating happens to the best of us. 
Don't let it control you. 

Stay Healthy, 

No comments:

Post a Comment