Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Tennis Tuesdays

Hi Guys - long time no talk!

My best friend got married over the weekend so things have been just short of crazy. I'd really, really love to say that things are finally slowing down for the summer, but I've got another friend getting married in the next 3 weeks, and somewhere in between all of those wedding events, I need to move out of my apartment and into a new one (duh)

Oh, and I left my camera cord at my parent's house in Cincinnati... so I'm mildly upset that I don't have any pictures to accompany this blog post, but the show must go on with or without pictures of my sister's picture perfect backhand...

So a few months ago my little sister graduated from college and got a big girl job here in Columbus.... she seems quite busy during the day (so she says) but it's during the evening, starting around 6:00, that I get constant text messages on how she is "sooooooo bored."

While I can't help her out on Mondays and Wednesdays, I decided to take the situation into my own hands, and establish Tuesday evenings for tennis. We both played in high school and since both of us are free on Tuesdays, AND have free courts just a short walk away from my apartment, it only made sense. Plus, after complaining to me that she was sore from dancing at the wedding reception on Saturday, I figured this girl could use some sort of regular physical activity in her life.
What I love about tennis is that basically anyone can play - I've seen 2 year old tennis prodigies playing and I've seen 85 year old tennis veterans playing. I recently read an article online that describes 5 benefits to playing tennis:

5 Health Benefits of Playing Tennis 

  • Decreases Risk of Heart Disease
  • Enhance Flexibility, Coordination and Balance
  • Boost Brain Power
  • Improve Bone Health
  • Lose Weight
You can read each benefit in detail on the link above, but I'm sure if you go out and play, you can experience the benefits without having to read them. Don't worry about being good or what you look like while playing - it's usually the people who are terrible that get the best workout (running all over the court getting balls). 

I played in college for 4 years, and we weren't by any stretch of imagination .... good .....at all, however, it was a great stress reliever, I got to spend a lot of time with some great people and while I didn't necessarily lose weight, it did keep my beer gut from reaching obnoxious proportions. 

It's a great week for evening tennis... go out and hit a few balls!

Stay Healthy, 

No comments:

Post a Comment