I apologize for my absence from the online world over the past couple days... it's been a whirlwind of a weekend! Dr. Alexander and I were up/down/over in Easton at the Women's Expo all weekend and at the Hoover Hustle 5K and 10K Sunday morning treating runners. Well, he was treating, I was just holding down the fort... literally... there were some gusty winds yesterday!
I have a fun post coming up in the next day or so, but until my flawless pictures are ready to be uploaded, or taken for that matter, I wanted to do a little post in the meantime just so you guys didn't have to go through the agony of yet another day without my wonderful words of wisdom.
So here we go... Salad Dressings.
It's Saturday night.
You and your girlfriends (or bros) are out to dinner.
You're on an awesome high from actually making it to the gym this morning, in time for the 8am spinning class, which you always seem to miss.
After a quick menu scan, the only words that seem to stick in your brain are: bacon cheeseburger and sweet potato fries. Yum.
You take a deep breath.
Gather your composure and further investigate the menu.
After much debate, and input from the peanut gallery sitting at your table, you decide against the burger and fries and opt for the salad in attempts to be healthy.
Congratulations on making a healthy decision!
..................20 minutes later...................................
Your large salad sits in front of you.
Without putting much thought into anything, you mindlessly drench your healthy salad with the 4 tubs of ranch dressing strategically placed around your salad plate.
STOP! Your healthy decision just turned TERRIBLE!
Sound all too familiar?
Let me just start by saying that, there is nothing healthy about ranch dressing. Yes, I know, you may hold ranch dressing dear to your heart, but keep eating it and you won't have a heart to hold anything close to (I ended in a preposition, sorry English majors)
Here are the Stats on Ranch Dressing:
Keep in mind that's just 2 tablespoons.
So what are some healthier options, you ask?
- Opt for no dressing! A lot of the salads these days have tons of little extras on top. Between the nuts, craisins, avocado and veggies, I can almost guarantee you'll still get plenty of flavor.
- Cut your amount in half. Okay, okay, so you just physically aren't able to dump the ranch, in that case, use half of what you would normally dump on.
- Choose a vinaigrette instead. More time than not, it's going to have less calories, less fat and less sugar.
- Dining at home? Make your own! Dr. A highly recommends this homemade recipe that he always uses:
- 3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 4 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 5 cloves of garlic (or to taste)
- Combine all ingredients in a container with a tight fitting lid. Shake vigorously. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Anyone out there have an addiction problem to ranch dressing? Your own special dressing? Let us know!