Monday, March 19, 2012

Happy Belated St. Patrick's Day!

Good morning all! Hope everyone had a fantastic weekend and was able to get outside and enjoy the nice weather! I'd love to say that winter is over, but I'm still afraid of jinxing myself and waking up to 5 inches of snow tomorrow morning... you can never be so sure about central Ohio weather!

I would have loved to get this post up sometime over the weekend... Saturday in particular, but you know how life goes.... so that's why here at Everyday Eating, we're celebrating St. Patrick's day a few days late! 

I had all intentions of getting in a good 10 mile run to start off my weekend, but my physical therapist crushed those dreams early Friday morning. So instead of enjoying a post-run smoothie this past Saturday morning, I enjoyed a post-spinning class smoothie instead:
This smoothie contained:
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • banana
  • strawberries
  • ice cubes
  • almond milk
  • lots of spinach for the green!
  • and a sprinkle of pumpkin granola for some added crunch 
Ever tried eating a smoothie with a spoon? It's great, if you have the time of course... I strongly suggest you don't try this method while speeding to get to work on time in the morning. 

Here's another shot of my St. Patty's day breakfast: (check out those clovers. pretty skilled with the 10 year old point and shoot if you ask me......)

And because I'm a firm believer in everything in moderation.... here is the obligatory "green beer" picture of the weekend:
Yep. I have absolutely no desire to know how much green dye was used in the making of this St. Patrick's day beverage, hence the reason why I only chose to splurge on one.

I ended my Green weekend with a nice little Sunday afternoon lunch that included this bad guy below:
Looks gross, right? I read about the original recipe here: TwoPeasandTheirPod.
Basically all you do is smash up some avocado along with some chickpeas and some cilantro and spread it between two pieces of bread for a sandwich, or roll it up in a wrap with some spinach, as I did. 

Avocado and Chickpea Salad
the below measurements will yield about 3 or 4 sandwiches. if making for one, you can easily use enough ingredients for one serving
  • 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas or garbanzo beans
  • 1 large ripe avocado
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
  • Juice from 1 lime
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • Bread of your choice 
  • Fresh spinach leaves or other sandwich toppings: lettuce, tomato slices, sprouts, etc. 
How did you guys spend your St. Patrick's Day? Did anyone celebrate?

Stay Healthy,






p.s. how about 4 teams from Ohio making it to the sweet 16?!

No comments:

Post a Comment