Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Veggie Burgers

As a single, somewhat lazy, 25-year old, I've relied heavily on the ease of having veggie burgers for dinner. Its something that I know I like and all I have to do is warm it up and it's ready to be consumed either on a salad or in between a bun. 
Like clockwork, every Sunday during my weekly grocery trip, you could always find a box of these MorningStar veggie patties in my cart:
.... along with an extra $5 bucks added to my final total at the checkout.

So in effort to save some money and expand my culinary resume... I went big last night and made my OWN veggie burgers. 
I based my creation off of the Black Bean Burgers recipe from one of my favorite Healthy Living Blogs -  KERF.

Easy and Cheap Black Bean Burgers
  • 1/3 cup black beans (canned are fine)
  • 1 TBSP flour
  • Handful of corn
  • The following spices added to taste
    • Pepper
    • Onion Powder
    • Cumin 
Place all ingredients in small bowl and smash with a fork or spoon until you are able to form a patty with your hands.  (I added some of the water from my can of black beans but ended up having to add additional flour to make it more sticky).
Once patty is formed, plop it on a fry pan, try to be patient and then flip it until the burger is cooked all the way through... or in my fashion, stick it on the George Foreman and let George do all the work for you.
Top burger with desired toppings and enjoy. 
I was apparently going for a color theme last night:
My sides included sweet potato medallions and some baby carrots.
Enjoy Guys!

Stay Healthy,



No comments:

Post a Comment