Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Sweet Side

After about 2 weeks of living on my own post college, I finally realized why my mom would make chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese at least once a week for dinner.... it was easy and no one complained - a win-win situation for all.

So it was obvious after those two weeks of "whats for dinner" phone calls to my mom, that I needed my own chicken nugget and macaroni dinner for nights when I wanted to concentrate more on Seinfeld reruns than what I was going to cook for dinner.
While I still haven't nailed down an entire go-to meal, I did establish my go-to side dish: sweet potatoes. 
Easy. 
Healthy. 
Tasty. 
What more could you need?!

Well, besides an oven, some olive oil and spices... nothing!

Lets take a quick look at the nutrition profile of these orange spuds:
  • high in Vitamin A
  • high in beta-carotene
  • good levels of Vitamin C
  • 130 calories for a medium sized potato (roughly the size of a computer mouse)
Here's my go-to method on preparation:
  • preheat your oven to 400 degrees
  • cut potatoes into thin discs (the thinner the cut, the faster they bake)
  • toss potato discs with some olive oil and any spice of your choice!
    • I'm partial to my sweet tooth and usually use cinnamon on mine, but I've used garlic salt and have even seen people use cayenne pepper to give them a little kick
  • spread evenly on baking sheet and bake in oven for about 20-25 minutes
  • Allow for some cooling and enjoy your easy and healthy side!


Stay Healthy,

No comments:

Post a Comment