After about 2 weeks of living on my own post college, I finally realized why my mom would make chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese at least once a week for dinner.... it was easy and no one complained - a win-win situation for all.
So it was obvious after those two weeks of "whats for dinner" phone calls to my mom, that I needed my own chicken nugget and macaroni dinner for nights when I wanted to concentrate more on Seinfeld reruns than what I was going to cook for dinner.
While I still haven't nailed down an entire go-to meal, I did establish my go-to side dish: sweet potatoes.
What more could you need?!
Well, besides an oven, some olive oil and spices... nothing!
Lets take a quick look at the nutrition profile of these orange spuds:
- high in Vitamin A
- high in beta-carotene
- good levels of Vitamin C
- 130 calories for a medium sized potato (roughly the size of a computer mouse)
Here's my go-to method on preparation:
- preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- cut potatoes into thin discs (the thinner the cut, the faster they bake)
- toss potato discs with some olive oil and any spice of your choice!
- I'm partial to my sweet tooth and usually use cinnamon on mine, but I've used garlic salt and have even seen people use cayenne pepper to give them a little kick
- spread evenly on baking sheet and bake in oven for about 20-25 minutes
- Allow for some cooling and enjoy your easy and healthy side!