Sunday, January 29, 2012

Brussel Sprouts


In effort to expand my vegetable repertoire past baby carrots and green peppers, I decided to go big and do up some brussel sprouts the other night. As many of you hopefully already know, brussel sprouts are considered a cruciferous vegetable. Cruciferous vegetables, for those of you who don't get the chance to watch the daytime doctor shows, are a highly nutritious, but overlooked group of vegetables that....
  • support with detoxification of the liver and digestive tract
  • protect against free radicals (unstable molecules that can cause cancer)
  • support healthy eye function
  • support immunity 
  • support healthy blood and bones
  • help maintain a healthy electrolyte balance within the body
You can find all of these important qualities in broccoli, kale, brussel sprouts, cauliflower and bok choy......
Yes. That was my subtle way of politely telling you to eat your broccoli and brussel sprouts. File away all negative connotations about these cancer-fighting supermen and give them a second chance. 
Toss them with some olive oil and salt and pepper....

Throw some kale leaves into your morning shake....
Okay. Let's pause for a moment.

 I realize as much as I harp on how important these vegetables are, I know I can't force your taste buds to feel the same way - in these such cases, I strongly suggest looking into taking some sort of alternative way to get the benefits of these vegetables. 
Standard process offers awesome supplements called Cruciferous Complete or SP Green Food that combines all the benefits and nutrients of cruciferous vegetables in a tiny, boring tablet. Take them, take them, take them. Your body will eventually thank you - I promise. 

Stay healthy, stay positive,

1 comment:

  1. I love brussel sprouts! I don't know about in a shake though...

    ReplyDelete