Thursday, February 2, 2012

Endorphins

As of lately, there has been lots and lots of hype surrounding the idea of cleanses and detox programs. Now, while I fully believe in, and support the reasons behind doing a purification cleanse, I'm afraid people are forgetting that when it comes to losing weight and keeping that weight off, the only full proof solution is simply a good diet and adequate exercise. 

I love food and I love the science behind food, but I want to take a quick break from all the antioxidant and vitamin talk and focus on exercise - well endorphins. 

side note: prior to "Everyday Eating" I, admittedly, had another blog. I bring this up because the following text is taken directly from a post I did about a year ago. No since in perfecting perfection, right? Ha - I wish!
Anyway.... enjoy!
endorphin en·dor·phin (ěn-dôr'fĭn)  n. Any of a group of peptide hormones that bind to opiate receptors and are found mainly in the brain. Endorphins reduce the sensation of pain and affect emotions. 
I'm sure many, if not all of you, have either heard of, or know what an endorphin is - whether it was in your mandatory college health class, your new years resolution issue of Glamour or from your personal trainer at the gym... because we all have one of those, right? Suuuure!

But anyway, I bring up the topic of endorphins, because after some serious *daydreaming this morning at work, I realized that this might be the best hormone ever invented secreted. Sure it may take some serious will power and motivation to get those peptide hormones into binding action, but once binded - MAN is the feeling it creates awesome.... allow me to explain...

Yesterday, after a day of constant himming and hawwing on whether or not to attend a spinning class after work, I walked into my apartment with not only a bad attitude, but also with the mindset of sitting on my butt for the rest of the evening, mindlessly eating my freezer stash of dark chocolate kisses.... that is until I walked straight into a fitness circus that was my living room: My roommate was on the floor in midst of the last exercise from Jillian Michael's 30-shred program, music was thumping and her boyfriend Nick was in a knee bent stance, fist pumping Gill (my roommate) through the last of it....

Okay, I'll be honest, that was a TOTAL exaggeration, but I'm going for a theatrical explanation, so please, bear with me... I'm almost done. 

Soon after discovering the madness in front of me, my roommate finished up the last bicycle ab move and  popped her sweaty little head off the floor and, with a total unnecessary and chipper voice, mind you, shouted "Hey Gill!!!" 

....I'm not going to lie, I was annoyed. Here I was all ready to be a total bum the rest of the night, complain about my job, eat chocolate and watch the Biggest Loser - but for some reason I felt like I didn't necessarily need to exercise, but that I should exercise..... ughhhh the pang of guilt! Gets me everytime!

And it did. 15 minutes later I somehow found myself in the spinning room of Urban Active and in the middle of the warm-up to a 45 minute class. How I got the motivation to get there I cannot tell you - but I will tell you that those 45 minutes of intense cycling and loud techno music not only reiterated my hate for Sandstorm, but really got my chemical brain action rockin'. I walked out of that spinning room refreshed, tired and happy - ready for a perfect evening of Biggest Loser and responsible chocolate decisions. Endorphins, you saved my evening. 

So, next time you feel overwhelmed with work or frustrated with stubborn weight gain, please, stop, think and go exercise. Think about endorphins and what they can do for your mood. Run up the stairs a few times, do some jumping jacks, go to a fitness class - anything to get those endorphins flowing and your mood elevated. 

I apologize for the silliness of this post, but I think its paints the perfect picture of just how awesome exercise can make us feel. It doesn't have to be a 10 mile run, or an intense spinning class... it can be as simple as a half hour walk or 20 minute workout video. The goal is to get our bodies moving. 

Stay Healthy,




* this is referring to my old job, haha... just to be clear!

No comments:

Post a Comment