Monday, March 12, 2012

Apple Cinnamon Oats

My ideal start to the day is a bowl of oatmeal... er, and coffee, but that should be assumed by now, yes? When it comes to my oats, I typically go down the banana-peanut butter route, but every now and then, I like to throw caution to the wind and really spice things up by going for an apple-peanut butter combination... what can I say... I like to live life on the edge.

So this morning that is exactly what I did... 

Full-Proof Directions:

  • Pour 1/3 cup milk of your choice (I'm on a big almond kick) and 1/3 cup water into your pot
  • Chop up small apple into pieces and gently toss into pot of liquid
  • Oh yeah, turn your stove on...
  • Toss in 1/3 cup of oatmeal and let it all boil until your desired consistency 
  • Add cinnamon and a small pinch of brown sugar - being mindful of course that we consume, on average 170 pounds of the sweet granules per year .... (for those of you who are bad with averages and numbers: that's a lot)
  • Scoop in a scant tablespoon of peanut butter and enjoy!

  • Nutritional Breakdown for 1/3 Cup Measurements:
    • Small Apple - 80 calories
    • 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk - 14 calories
    • 1/3 cup water - 0 calories
    • 1/3 cup Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal - 100 calories 
    • Cinnamon - 0 calories
    • Pinch Brown Sugar - 5-15 calories
    • Tablespoon of Peanut Butter - 100 calories
    • Total = 310 calories 
So not only is this an excellent breakfast on the nutritional side of things... it is mighty tasty as well. Yep, I said mighty, so go try it!

Stay Healthy,


No comments:

Post a Comment