Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Fishin' Around

Hi guys! 

Lots of blog topics coming your way this month.... and since there will be LOTS and LOTS of information coming your way, we're going to kick things off and talk about how to keep your brain in tiptop shape for remembering everything. There will be a quiz at the end of the month, so take notes.  

The other week, I had the opportunity to attend a webinar online (is that right? can you attend something online???) that discussed the 3 big products of the supplement company we use here in the office - Standard Process. I won't go into too much detail about the specific products on the blog  (we can save my harassment and persuasion tactics for an actual office visit) but I do want to discuss the importance of fats in the diet - omega 3's to be specific.
The 411 on Omega 3's:
  • Omega 3's are fatty acids.... essential fatty acids to be more specific. 
  • Because our body doesn't produce these omegas on it's own, we need to get them through the food we eat
  • Top food sources of Omega 3's are:
    • flaxseed
    • walnuts 
    • salmon
    • sardines
    • soybeans
    • tofu
    • tuna
  • Aim for at least 1 gram a day 
    • a 4 oz serving of salmon has about 2 grams
    • 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds has about 4 grams
    • 1 cup soybeans will give you about 1 gram
    • 1/4 cup walnuts has 2.5 grams
  • What's the Big Hoopla?
    • reduce inflammation throughout your entire body
    • maintain healthy cell membranes
    • lower amounts of cholesterol and bad fats in your bloodstream
    • healthy for cognitive function (brain memory and and performance
    • have shown to prevent heart disease, cancer and arthritis
See?! Why wouldn't you want to add omega 3's into your everyday diet?!

Due to my less than ideal situation, I know that since I can't exercise, I need to really watch my diet if I want to look somewhat presentable in my upcoming summer wedding obligations. In addition to wanting to fit into my bridesmaid dress, I've also been upping my omega 3's to help my healing process along. In fact, the other night, I was on top of things (blog wise and nutrition wise) and captured  this delightful little meal I had a few nights ago:

Salmon: ( 2.1 grams omega 3)

Salad with spinach, tomato, balsamic dressing and walnuts: (1.1 grams omega 3)

Yum!

Are you guys getting enough omega 3's?

Stay Healthy,

No comments:

Post a Comment