Sunday, February 19, 2012

Blood Orange to the Rescue

I spent a good portion of my weekend visiting my sister at her college for their annual sibs weekend. Details aside, I arrived back in Columbus in some serious need for real food - real food meaning hydration and nutrients. It didn't take long for me to reach into my fruit bowl and grab a Green Bean Delivery item... a blood orange:
Blood oranges look like an orange from the outside but have a blood-red hue inside... hence the name "blood orange." The dark red color is due to the presence of anthocyanins, a family of pigments common to many flowers and fruit, but uncommon in citrus fruits. The color change occurs when the fruit develops with low temperatures during the night. It's a mutation of the sweet orange. 
Nutritional Stats
  • Blood oranges have more anti-oxidants than other oranges because of the blood-red pigment
  • Good source of vitamin C
  • Contain 28% of the recommended daily amount of fiber
  • Also a good source of calcium, folate and thiamine
The verdict? Good! 
It was a little sweeter than an orange but still had a citrus flavor. 
I'm excited to peel into my other two!

Stay Healthy, 



No comments:

Post a Comment